Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Good Life

Written by Alex Good (Hagesher)


An experience I will never forget was being able to go on a USY Poland/Israel Pilgrimage Second Departure. Among many experiences, those that influenced me the most were trips to Auschwitz I and Auschwitz II-Birkenau. Visiting Mount Hertzel Cemetery in Israel blindsided me with a connection that was closer than I thought.

While in Poland we went to Auschwitz I. We walked up to the gate and saw “Arbeit Macht Frei”- “Work will set you free”. The sign I've often heard of was right in front of me, a historical symbol of Nazi inhumanity. The barracks held display cases filled with items collected from the prisoners. One case contained crutches, prosthetic legs and feet. Thinking about how these life-aiding items were forcibly removed from them evoked a sense of rage within me. When I approached the case full of hair, I witnessed my friend crying and saw another friend hug and console her. I arrived in a narrow hallway with cases on both sides containing mounds of shoes. When my friend put his around me, I realized that was the first true bonding experience of the trip. At that moment I started to cry.
                   
Our next destination was Auschwitz II-Birkenau. I walked in and saw the train tracks; an instant blow to the heart. The feeling that overcame me when I saw those train tracks, was one I will never have again. One of my counselors looked at me, saw that I was upset, and tied an Israeli flag onto my backpack. I walked onto the train tracks, with the wind blowing at the flag and I was immediately calmed. Even though I had not yet been to Israel and didn't have a strong emotional connection, standing on the tracks where thousands of Jewish people were systematically murdered, learning their history and honoring their memories laid the foundation for my evolving connection to Israel.
            
In Israel we visited Mount Hertzel Cemetery where fallen IDF soldiers are buried. Michael Levin was the son of a family in our community and the brother of one of my Hebrew school teachers.  When I approached his grave, the first thing I saw was an Eagles hat. Knowing Michael was an avid Philadelphia sports fan my first reaction was to smile. Without thinking I took my Flyers hat off and set it down next to his grave. Only then, realizing how similar our experiences were, did I begin to cry. Our connection runs much deeper than growing up in the same community; Michael also went on USY Poland/Israel Pilgrimage. 

These experiences impacted me in the way that made me realize I am a part of something bigger than myself. It reminds me of an important Jewish concept, L’dor V’dor: From Generation to Generation. I am proud to link my experiences with those of generations past.  I am proud to be able to tell my stories to future generations. I am proud to be Jewish.

No comments:

Post a Comment