Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My Best Friend is Five

Written by Lauren Kerner (Far West)

Pilgrimage was perfect! I wish I could tell you how many times I almost peed in my pants from laughing so hard (final count: 3 ½.) There was a moment for me to feel every single feeling under the sun: I felt overwhelmingly blessed when I landed in Tel Aviv for the very first time, I felt extremely connected to God at the Kotel on my first full day in Israel, I felt so loved by my amazing group (L’ Takayn Olam G3 2012! 15 strong! And the best 3 staff a USYer could ever hope for), I felt so infectiously happy when I was running around the Rambam Medical Center with my new 5 year old best friend, Shir, I felt empowered after accomplishing the remarkable feat of repainting an entire gymnasium in four hours, I felt like anything was possible in Israel and even though I was in hysterics in Ben-Gurion after saying goodbye to my staff and felt like the entire world ended when I boarded my flight back to California, I knew I had just experienced the greatest summer of my life and I would never trade it for the world.

This is one of my all time favorite pilgrimage stories- the scene is set: Haifa, Israel. Group 3 had moved into two well-sized dormitory styled homes on the Beit Rutenberg campus. Us girls definitely knew how to party and each night for a week, the communal showers in our house were filled with a Disney’s greatest hits song session. Each morning we would wake up at the crack of dawn, get ready for our volunteer placements (The Ofakim School for children with Cerebral Palsy, the Haifa Zoo, and the Meyer Children’s Hospital), eat a hearty breakfast, get some words of wisdom from our sainted host, Barry, and head out for the day in taxi busses. With four of  some of my closest friends, we drove down the humungous hill into Haifa and walked into the children’s hospital. We were given a brief tour on the first day and that was it! We were free to roam as we pleased and give our friendship and love to anyone we could find. I found Shir.
   
Let me tell you about Shir. She is the cutest, spunkiest, and silliest 5 year-old on the planet! I met Shir in the classroom of the Internal Medicine ward and we became instant buddies. On the first day, we had a blast getting to know each other by coloring and making jewelry and laughing at funny noises we could make. I don’t speak a single word of Hebrew and she didn’t speak a single word of English but that didn’t matter to us- we were soul sisters! On the next day, I returned and found Shir back in the classroom. We made more jewelry and spent more time singing En-Den-Dino and laughing with each other. Then, a nurse rushed in and told Shir and her mother that they needed to see the doctor immediately. Shir refused! She would not go unless I went with her. Her mother asked me if I could “please, please, please,” come with them. I thought for a few seconds, “Oh my gosh! That’s in the huge medical center… what if my rosh can’t find me? What if this? What if that?” and then I realized that those were stupid questions. This is what I came here to do; I came to make a difference in someone’s life and this was my chance. So hand in hand with my little friend, I went to all of Shir’s doctor’s appointments and infusions with all kinds of different doctors, but honestly, we had such a blast! Put two energetic girls in a big room with slippery floors and you’ve got two very loud singers doing the chicken dance in the middle of the Rambam Medical Center. It didn’t matter how old I was or where I was from, Shir and I were best friends.
           
That whole week was amazing. After volunteering, we would come back, have lunch, go on an afternoon adventure (those were so cool! Haifa has the Baha’i holy grounds, the Technion, an awesome Arab community, and the Grand Canyon Mall! It’s an awesome city.), return for drink and cake, a late afternoon program, dinner, an evening program, and then we’d do it all again the next day.
           
Haifa changed my life. The days I spent with Shir have become some of my most cherished memories. This little girl was an inspiration to me for the entire trip. When I said my goodbye to Shir, we were both in tears. She was crying because the bracelet we had just made broke and all of the beads were scattered across the floor of her hospital room. I was crying because of how much this little girl meant to me and how much she taught me about being happy and being strong. She gave me the biggest hug and kiss and she said in English, “I love you, Lauren!” and I walked out of the Meyer Children’s Hospital thinking that maybe I made a difference to her, but I knew the real difference was made in me. She changed my heart and taught me that you don’t need to have anything in common with a person to love them and that no matter where you are or what circumstances you find yourself in, you can always be happy. The day our group left Haifa, Shir was able to go home. Nothing made me happier knowing that my little friend was back to mischief and being a little girl again. I think about Shir all the time and I am constantly in contact with her family via Facebook. Shir calls me her sister, and it’s true- I now have this beautiful, amazing family to call my own in Haifa and I know that I will back to visit them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment